White Bear Lake is a town full of fun and interesting small business. After the craziness of Black Friday, and the before the very impersonal Cyber Monday, is a recently created shopping holiday that we really enjoy, Small Business Saturday.
We want to encourage you to shop local this holiday season, and take advantage of the convenience of having so many great stores and restaurants right in White Bear. You don't get the same quality interaction with friendly employees at a big box store on Friday, or behind your computer on Monday.
Here are a few of our favorite White Bear area shops and restaurants. If you haven't been to some of these... take our word for it, and give them a visit this holiday season.
- Good Things - Multiple shops around White Bear. Home decorations and gifts in one shop. Retail clothing and yoga in another. And most recently, the Good Kids store on Banning. Great for MN themed gifts, and fun unique gifts for your creative friend or family member!
- Sail la Vie - Recycled sails turned duffel bags, totes and dopp kits. Brigid and Terry can make anything from a set of old sails! Visit their store on Whitaker St. by the Food Shelf.
- Washington Square Grill - One of our most frequented local establishments. Great burgers, great tacos and fajitas, a variety of amazing craft cocktails and an ever-changing list of tap beer from craft breweries around the country. "No crap on tap!" At the corner of 3rd and Washington Square in downtown WBL.
- Hi Tempo & The Footlab - The locally owned family ski shop. You're always greeted with a smile from owners Brad and Debbie when you walk into HT. Along with their knowledge of Hobie sailboats and kayaks, and skiing hardgoods, their expert knowledge of boot fitting and custom insoles has generated a following of skiers and runners from around the midwest, who come to town just to get their boots fit by Brad and his staff. Located on southbound Hwy 61, just south of Co. Rd. F
- Eat! - Great sandwiches and salads, but also known for their awesome bakery items. Located on Banning and 5th.
- Primp - An affordable women's fashion boutique, started by two local entrepreneurs. What started as a single store in St Paul, has grown into a healthy 8+ store chain across the metro. The White Bear location is on the corner of 4th and Banning.
- John Henry - Primp's "brother" store, and neighbor on Banning. John Henry offers well made men's clothing and accessories. Their staff is so welcoming, don't be surprised if they offer you a Big Wood beer to sip while you shop!
- Big Wood Brewery - White Bear's own micro-brewery! Although there's only one taproom (and a phenomenal tap room it is), you can find Big Wood brews all over the twin cities at your favorite liquor store. If you're looking to visit the tap room in person, feel free to BYO food! While the beer menu is full of variety, the tap room does not serve food. They do, however, encourage you to bring takeout or a snack from home while you enjoy one of their tasty brews. Located on 3rd St. between Cook and Banning.
- Evans Music - A fixture in downtown White Bear, Evans has provided instruments, sheet music, lessons and repair to the northeast metro since 1978. With the unfortunate trend of music stores closing or moving away from the northeast metro (Schmidt's Music closing in Maplewood, and Eckroth Music moving its store to Roseville), Evans remains in its original location on 3rd St. and Washington Square.
These are just a few of our favorites here in town. There are many more fantastic restaurants, bars, salons and shops for all of us to patronize this holiday season.
Enjoy the fresh snow and long weekend, and good luck on your search for holiday gifts!